Dr. Megan L. Lavengood | George Mason University
Music theory as a field has grown and broadened considerably in the past 20 years. This course is intended to introduce you to both the traditional approaches and the current trends in music theory, with the ultimate goal of giving you tools to analyze any type of music you may be interested in for academic research.
How to use this website
This website is where I will post all course information, including instructions for weekly assignments. To submit assignments, please visit our Blackboard site.
- Week 1 (Jun 1): Broadly Applicable Techniques
- Week 2 (Jun 8): Techniques for Atonal Music
- Week 3 (Jun 15): Analysis Symposium #1
- Week 4 (Jun 22): Techniques for Tonal Music
- Week 5 (Jun 29): Techniques for Pop Music
- Week 6 (Jul 6): Analysis Symposium #2
- Week 7 (Jul 13): Writing a theory paper
- Final project