George Mason University
Music theory as a field has grown and broadened considerably in the past 20 years. This course is intended to introduce you to both the traditional approaches and the current trends in music theory, with the ultimate goal of giving you tools to analyze any type of music you may be interested in for academic research.
How to use this website
This website is where I will post all course information, including instructions for weekly assignments. To submit assignments, please visit our Blackboard site.
- Syllabus (Su22)
- Week 1 (Jun 6): Broadly Applicable Techniques (Su22)
- Week 2 (Jun 13): Techniques for Atonal Music (Su22)
- Week 3 (Jun 20): Analysis Symposium #1 (Su22)
- Week 4 (Jun 27): Techniques for Tonal Music (Su22)
- Week 5 (Jul 4): Techniques for Pop Music (Su22)
- Week 6 (Jul 11): Analysis Symposium #2 (Su22)
- Week 7 (Jul 18): Writing a theory paper (Su22)
- Final project (Su22)